History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mill Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2582 / 52°15'29"N

Longitude: 1.1152 / 1°6'54"E

OS Eastings: 612700

OS Northings: 266802

OS Grid: TM127668

Mapcode National: GBR TKB.DR2

Mapcode Global: VHL9T.8HWP

Entry Name: Mill Cottage

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182324

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281706

Location: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford

Built-Up Area: Wetheringsett

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Wetheringsett All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Wetheringsett

Listing Text

WETHERINGSETT-CUM-BROCKFORD CHURCH STREET
TM 16 NW
3/121 Mill Cottage
29.7.55

GV II
House, at one time divided into 2. Mid-late C16. Timber framed and rendered,
the left gable end and rear with old plasterwork. Thatched roof, hipped to
left. 2-cell, lobby entry type. 2 storeys and attic. 3 windows, mid C20
casements with diamond leaded panes. Mid C20 studded plank door. Stack has
rebuilt shaft. Interior. Exposed 3-bay frame with reverse-curved braces and
evidence for original windows, including an oriel sill in rear of right hand
chamber. In rear wall of left cell is an additional original doorway with
arched head, an unusual feature. Both ground floor rooms have chamfered-joist
ceilings. Back-to-back open fireplaces on ground floor, both C16 lintols cut
down in length; the lintol in the right room has multiple roll moulding.
There is evidence to suggest the stack is of C17 date and was preceded by a
timber flue in the same position. C19 upper ceiling in right cell. C19 stair
in left cell, the original stair probably removed when the house was
subdivided. The name of the house, and its unusual siting over a small
watercourse, suggest it was associated with a watermill but no firm evidence
for this is known.


Listing NGR: TM1270066802

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.