History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Five Bells Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Hessett, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2204 / 52°13'13"N

Longitude: 0.8336 / 0°50'1"E

OS Eastings: 593656

OS Northings: 261799

OS Grid: TL936617

Mapcode National: GBR RGP.MLL

Mapcode Global: VHKDD.DGK7

Entry Name: Five Bells Cottage

Listing Date: 15 November 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182325

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281176

Location: Hessett, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP30

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Hessett

Built-Up Area: Hessett

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Beyton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Thurston

Listing Text


TL 96 SW HESSETT THE STREET (EAST SIDE)

4/73 Five Bells Cottage
15.11.54

GV II

House, c.1500-1530. 2 storeys. 3-cell cross-entry plan, but with an
additional integral service cell. Timber-framed and plastered: beaded panels
of C19 with herringbone pargetting. Plaintiled roof, hipped and gabletted to
right, half-hipped and gabletted to left. An axial chimney of red brick with
early C17 sawtooth shaft. C19 small-paned casements at 1st storey and early
or mid C20 3-light oak casements with leaded glazing below. C20 4-panelled
entrance door. A good-quality house of conventional layout, apart from the
provision of twin service rooms beyond the parlour to right, in addition to
those in the usual position. Heavy broadly-chamfered binding beams: that
central over the hall has chamfered archbraces beneath it, and traces of
shafts on the posts. Heavy unchamfered joists. Tension-braced close-studding
and diamond mullioned window evidence. Crownpost roof: chamfered square post
at open truss, thin 2-way braces up to collar purlin, and long rising braces
from the tie beam. Four-centred arched doorways, moved from original
positions, and evidence for others. The late C16 chimney has large lintelled
open fireplaces back-to-back, and one above. One has limestone jambs probably
taken from the Abbey of St Edmundsbury. Very deep lintels: both are taken
from even larger fireplaces, on the same site no doubt. The will of John
Bacon, the elder names a house on this site as "Reris", and leaves it to his
sister Margaret Fuller. (1513: Liber Johnson, f.119, Norwich Registry).


Listing NGR: TL9365661799

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.