History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Reydon Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Reydon, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3471 / 52°20'49"N

Longitude: 1.6412 / 1°38'28"E

OS Eastings: 648091

OS Northings: 278354

OS Grid: TM480783

Mapcode National: GBR YWH.V1L

Mapcode Global: VHM75.D8GK

Entry Name: Reydon Hall

Listing Date: 27 November 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182329

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281899

Location: Reydon, Waveney, Suffolk, IP18

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Reydon

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Reydon St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Wangford

Listing Text

TM 47 NE REYDON WANGFORD ROAD

4/34 Reydon Hall
-
27/11/54
- II

House. East wing dated 'TF1-92' in iron letters on north gable end, the
missing figure being 6; many descriptions of the house quote the initials as
being 'TE', for Thomas Ewen. The remainder of the house was greatly altered
and enlarged in the mid and late C19. Red brick, the roof mainly plaintiled.
2 storeys and attics. At the front the east wing extends forward of the main
part of the house: 3 cross windows with diamond-leaded glass, some windows
evidently original; first floor brick band, moulded brick eaves cornice; Dutch
gable ends with brick bands. Internal stack with 4 mid or late C19 flues with
moulded brick shafts. The main block has a 7-bay symmetrical facade
2:1:1:1:2, the centre bays set forward. Inset sash windows with glazing bars
under flat brick arches with hood moulds; cross windows at attic level; mid
C20 glazed entrance door. 3 Dutch gables over side and centre bays. Various
tall stacks in Tudor style. There are 3 Dutch-gabled wings at the rear.
Attached to the north of the east wing is a C18 stable block with hipped roof,
altered mid C20. From 1808-1864 the house was the principal residence of Agnes
Strickland, author of 'Lives of the Queens of England'.


Listing NGR: TM4809178354

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.