This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3546 / 52°21'16"N
Longitude: 1.6198 / 1°37'11"E
OS Eastings: 646592
OS Northings: 279119
OS Grid: TM465791
Mapcode National: GBR YWG.8BS
Mapcode Global: VHM75.125S
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 27 November 1954
Last Amended: 14 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182389
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281917
Location: Wangford with Henham, Waveney, Suffolk, NR34
Civil Parish: Wangford with Henham
Built-Up Area: Wangford
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Wangford St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 47 NE WANGFORD HIGH STREET (south side)
7/52 Church of St. Peter and
- St. Paul (formerly
27/11/54 listed as Church of St.
Parish church. Mid C15 nave, north aisle and north porch; restored 1864-70.
Tower of 1864; chancel and south vestry of 1875, all by E.L. Blackburne in a
modified Perpendicular style with French Gothic influence. Random flint
rubble, stone dressings; pantiled roof to nave, plaintiled roofs to chancel
and vestry, all with crest tiles. The tower is at the east end of the north
aisle: square, with angle buttresses at the corners and a staircase turret at
the south-east angle; various moulded stone string courses; large 2-light bell
chamber openings, each with 3 blank quatrefoil panels at the base; crenellated
parapet with panelled flushwork and crocketed pinnacles. 3-bay aisle with 3-
light Perpendicular windows. Simple porch, slightly earlier than the aisle to
which it is attached: there is a moulded entrance arch with an empty cusped
niche above. C14 moulded arch to nave doorway. To the west the nave has
flanking turrets capped by spirelets and a 4-light window; to the south are 3
3-light perpendicular windows and 3 flying buttresses. 2-bay chancel; 4-light
east window below which is a flushwork frieze and inscription to Johannes
Rous, Earl of Stradbroke, dated 1875. Both nave and chancel have flat
parapets. Interior. 3-bay aisle arcade, the eastern bay formed in mid C19.
Both the nave and aisle are unusually wide. 4-bay C15 nave roof: arched-
braced embattled tie beams alternate with high collars; at the apex are large
bosses, some in the form of human heads. 3-bay C15 aisle roof. Ornate 4-bay
chancel roof with arched-bracing and angels at the foot of each wallpost. C15
octagonal font with a quatrefoil panel to each face of the bowl. Fine reading
desk and pulpit with much elaborate inlaid work: these were orignally part of
one C17 structure at Henham Hall. The chancel has good choirstalls and
elaborately-carved stone reredos, piscina and sedilia, all of 1875. In the
aisle are wall monuments to Sir John Rous (1652) and John Rous (1771); on the
south nave wall are monuments to John, First Earl of Stradbroke (1827) by
Behnes, and to John Rous (1730): a rococo cartouche against an obelisk, with 3
winged cherubs beneath. Several windows with late C19 stained glass.
Listing NGR: TM4659279119
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings