This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4366 / 51°26'11"N
Longitude: -2.1827 / 2°10'57"W
OS Eastings: 387394
OS Northings: 170859
OS Grid: ST873708
Mapcode National: GBR 1R9.T4F
Mapcode Global: VH96J.35Y1
Entry Name: The Bath House
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Last Amended: 1 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182390
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315129
Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13
Civil Parish: Corsham
Built-Up Area: Corsham
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Greater Corsham
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
CORSHAM CORSHAM COURT
5/104 The Bath House
(formerly listed as The Cold Bath at
20.12.60 Corsham Court )
Bath House, c1761-3 by Lancelot Brown, altered 1797 and 1802 by J.
Nash. Rubble stone with ashlar dressings, ogee stone-tiled roof
and crocketted finial. Square plan, 2 storeys, Gothick style.
Ashlar quoins, moulded cornice broken for ogee 'pediment' with
crocketted finials to apex and sides, similar finials to each
angle. Battlements between finials, probably an addition by Nash.
First floor on three principal sides has similar 2-light pointed
Gothic window with cusping and traceried glazing bars. Front
window is flanked by two canopied niches. Ground floor front and
bath chamber remodelled by Nash. Triple-arched front with 4-
centred centre arch and round-arched narrower side openings,
moulded with delicate pendant cusping. Quatrefoil columns and
responds with moulded caps and bases. Fluting to spandrels.
Similar half-columns within, 3 x 3 bays with broad centre and
narrower side bays each side, carrying shallow plastered
octopartite vault. Sunken bath with moulded stone rim. Front
loggia is open to sides with one ogee-headed archway each side with
hoodmould, the remnant of Brown's ground floor, stonework from the
removed front arcade now incorporated in Sham Ruin (q.v.). Two
side arches to rear of bath are open, one giving access to curving
stair to upper changing room, the other to a serpentine passage
leading back to the walled garden behind. Passage has 4 slit
windows with stained glass, plastered walls and tunnel vault
originally entirely inlaid with fir-cones and moss in patterns,
some of which survives. Rear stair tower is curved with curved
stone-tiled roof. Passage also has stone tiled roof.
(F.J. Ladd, Architects at Corsham Court, 1978 66-8, 108).
Listing NGR: ST8739470859
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings