History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Lewknor, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6742 / 51°40'27"N

Longitude: -0.974 / 0°58'26"W

OS Eastings: 471045

OS Northings: 197767

OS Grid: SU710977

Mapcode National: GBR C2Y.SPV

Mapcode Global: VHDVV.25GW

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 3 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182391

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248966

Location: Lewknor, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX49

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Lewknor

Built-Up Area: Lewknor

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Lewknor

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Aston Rowant

Listing Text

LEWKNOR WESTON ROAD
SU7197 (West side)
10/120 The Manor House

- II


Manor house, now house. Late C16, remodelled and refronted 1866 for Sir Edward
Repps Jodrell. Rendered; gabled old tile roof; right end stack and mid C19 rear
lateral stacks. L-plan with rear right wiring. 2 storeys and attic; 4-window
range. Late C18 six-panelled door with overlight: brick porch with datestone
"ERP/1866". Paired horned sashes. Rear wing of 2 storeys; 2-window range has 2-
and 3-light stone-mullioned ovolo-moulded windows on left side wall. Interior:
hall has reset C17 panelling; first floor has late C16 panelled room with mid
C19 fireplace and restored overmantle to right, and central timber-framed
partition; attic has old plank door and 4-bay collar-truss roof. Rear wing has
chamfered and stopped beams, C17 quarter-turn staircase with splat balusters, 2
bolection-moulded doors, stop-chamfered door frame and 4-bay queen-post roof
with clasped purlins. The house is shown on a 1598 map, and was described in
1684 as having hall and parlour, with the best chamber, dining room and closet
over them,
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, p.99).


Listing NGR: SU7104597767

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.