History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Scotch Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2366 / 52°14'11"N

Longitude: 1.1282 / 1°7'41"E

OS Eastings: 613697

OS Northings: 264432

OS Grid: TM136644

Mapcode National: GBR TKJ.Q21

Mapcode Global: VHLB0.H1TR

Entry Name: Scotch Farmhouse

Listing Date: 14 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182443

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281715

Location: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Wetheringsett All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Wetheringsett

Listing Text

WETHERINGSETT-CUM-BROCKFORD PARK GREEN
TM 16 SW
5/130 Scotch Farmhouse
-

-- II
Farmhouse. In 2 builds: early C16 to left, with late C16 inserted stack;
c.1700 to right, replacing medieval work. Timber framed and rendered,
thatched roof. 2 cells. 2 storeys. Mid C20 standard casements without
glazing bars. Lobby entrance: one-storey gabled porch with standard panelled
door. Stack has rendered axial shaft. Interior. Earlier work comprises 2-
bay parlour block, the inserted stack occupying most of one bay. Good ceiling
of closely-set chamfered joists with matchboarding between. Studding
concealed except in end gable where it is heavy and closely-spaced. Plain
crown-post roof with 2-way bracing to the collar purlin; central cambered tie
beam, apparently raised. Open fireplace in ground floor room, one jamb
rebuilt. Part of stack is of unfired brick. Later work has framing of much
poorer quality, small flat joists to the lower ceiling and a clasped-purlin
roof incorporating a few sooted medieval timbers. Newel stair in front of
stack.


Listing NGR: TM1369764432

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.