History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abbey Farm House

A Grade II Listed Building in Thrandeston, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3475 / 52°20'50"N

Longitude: 1.1174 / 1°7'2"E

OS Eastings: 612429

OS Northings: 276733

OS Grid: TM124767

Mapcode National: GBR TJ5.TJX

Mapcode Global: VHL9F.B837

Entry Name: Abbey Farm House

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182515

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280405

Location: Thrandeston, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Thrandeston

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Thrandeston St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stuston

Listing Text

THRANDESTON GREAT GREEN (SOUTH SIDE)
TM 17 NW

2/116 Abbey Farm House
29.7.55

-- II


House. Early C16 origins, floor inserted, raised, stack and parlour added
early to mid C17, altered early C19. Timber frame, plastered. Pantiled roof.
3 cell lobby entry plan with parlour and entrance bay added to small and
probably part open core. 2 storeys and attic. Entrance to left of centre, an
early 9 panelled door with studded and moulded rails and muntins, recessed in
an early C19 reeded doorcase. Transomed 4-light ovolo moulded casements with
leaded panes, that to right on ground floor is C17 as is smaller 4-light ovolo
mullioned window over entrance. Axial ridge stack with 4 clustered hexagonal
shafts, moulded base and capping. Left gable end early 4-light ovolo
mullioned attic window with cornice. Right gable end, attic 3-light window to
former cheese loft, added external stack, 1 storey C19 or C20 gabled
outbuilding with an entrance and a stack. To rear early bays have oversailing
upper storey, bressumer fixed with iron studs reflecting original eaves level,
C20 casements, a bay window and a 3-light raking dormer. Parlour addition
projects slightly with an early 3-light ovolo mullioned window over a boarded
door, French windows and a transomed 4-light casement to right. Interior:
parlour has close studding, triple ovolo moulded axial binding beam, first
floor cavetto and ovolo moulded 4 centred rendered brick fireplace arches.
Hall has a stop chamfered cross axial binding beam, first floor reset
chamfered axial binding beam with elaborate bar stops. Double purlin roof
throughout, lower butt purlins, upper purlins clasped by cranked collars,
halved principals.


Listing NGR: TM1242976733

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.