History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Elm Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2336 / 52°14'1"N

Longitude: 1.1362 / 1°8'10"E

OS Eastings: 614257

OS Northings: 264129

OS Grid: TM142641

Mapcode National: GBR TKK.S4S

Mapcode Global: VHLB0.N410

Entry Name: Elm Farmhouse

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182538

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281721

Location: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Wetheringsett All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Wetheringsett

Listing Text

WETHERINGSETT-CUM-BROCKFORD WETHERUP STREET
TM 16 SW
5/136 Elm Farmhouse
29.7.55

GV II
Farmhouse. Mainly early-mid C16; service cell to left is C18, replacing
earlier work. Timber framed and plastered, pantiled roof. 3 cells. 2
storeys. Mainly sash windows with glazing bars, a canted ground floor bay to
right. 2 mid C20 first floor casements to left. To right of centre is a mid
C19 doorway with 6-panel door, plain surround and cornice; mid C20 enclosed
lean-to porch. Fine stack against right gable end, a late C16 or early C17
addition. The plinth has 3 4-centre arched recesses. Above, the main body of
the stack is parallel-walled as far as the roof, where the outermost face
corbels out and then diminishes in a bell-like profile to an oblong base with
the lower portions of 2 octagonal shafts. The upper part of the stack was
once stuccoed, with a pattern of squares and circles in black; only fragments
of this work now remain. Internal stack has plain C19 shaft. Interior. C16
work in 3 bays, one bay each for stack, hall and parlour. Good quality
studding, heavy arched corner braces in parlour chamber. Hall has chamfered-
joist ceiling. Parlour ceiling plastered over except for chamfered main beam.
At junction of hall and parlour chambers is a former open truss with arched-
braced cambered tie beam; a central vertical post extending to floor level is
presumed to be a C17 insertion. Roof has a single row of wind-braced clasped
purlins and arched-braced straight collars. C18 end has many re-used timbers
and a clasped-purlin roof. The stack has been enlarged to provide a cooking
hearth in this addition.


Listing NGR: TM1447764272

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.