History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Rookery

A Grade II Listed Building in Stonham Earl, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1872 / 52°11'14"N

Longitude: 1.0745 / 1°4'28"E

OS Eastings: 610262

OS Northings: 258787

OS Grid: TM102587

Mapcode National: GBR TL1.VWH

Mapcode Global: VHLB5.K9X3

Entry Name: The Rookery

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 26 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182556

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279343

Location: Stonham Earl, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stonham Earl

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Earl Stonham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stonham Aspall

Listing Text

EARL STONHAM FEN LANE
TM 15 NW
5/94 The Rookery(formerly listed
- as Rookery Farmhouse)
9-12-55
- II

Farmhouse, early C16 with alterations of c.1600. A 3-cell Wealden open-hall
house. 2 storeys. Timber-framed and plastered; both end cells are jettied at
the front, with the recessed open hall between. Concrete tiled roof (formerly
plaintiled), with an early C17 axial chimney of buff brick and an attached
second flue of late C17/C18 in red brick. C20 casements. 6-panelled early
C19 entrance door at cross-entry position. The 2-bay open hall has a
crownpost roof: the open truss has a cambered arch-braced tie-beam; one of the
pilaster shafts with ornate carving survives beneath an archbrace, and the
central crownpost has an octagonal shaft with moulded capital and base and 4-
way braces (one missing). The lateral braces are not fixed to the collar and
are purely decorative. Good arch wind-braced close-studding. Light smoke
staining in the hall roof; evidence for a ridge louvre. Circa 1600, an upper
floor was inserted into the hall, with chamfered joists. A large open
fireplace in the hall has pink/gault brickwork and backs onto the cross-
passage; it may predate the inserted floor. A service wing was added to rear
of the parlour cell c.1600, with large axial chimney and plain framing with
butt-purlin roof.


Listing NGR: TM1026258787

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.