This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8201 / 50°49'12"N
Longitude: 0.3364 / 0°20'11"E
OS Eastings: 564670
OS Northings: 104885
OS Grid: TQ646048
Mapcode National: GBR NW2.FVZ
Mapcode Global: FRA C6LX.WCW
Entry Name: The Court House and Wallby
Listing Date: 30 August 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182588
English Heritage Legacy ID: 295520
Location: Pevensey, Wealden, East Sussex, BN24
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Pevensey
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Pevensey St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
PEVENSEY THE VILLAGE STREET
The Court House and
TQ 6404 38/266 30.8.66 Wallby
One building. From the early C13 Pevensey was an associated member of the
Cinque Ports as a limb of Hastings and had its own Corporation until 1886.
This building comprised the Court Hall or Town Hall on the first floor and
lock-up on ground floor. A tablet on the building records (inter alia)
that "From Norman days the Mayor, Jurats and Communalty held their courts
here". Probably mediaeval building but refaced with cement in the C19.
Tiled roof. Two storeys. Two windows facing north. At first floor level
is a porch at the head of 10 steps containing a C18 door of 6 fielded panels.
The north gable end has an oriel window. Wallby, which is the portion
behind to the south, is an C18 addition with 2 windows facing west.
Listing NGR: TQ6467004884
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings