History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Wishford, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1188 / 51°7'7"N

Longitude: -1.8863 / 1°53'10"W

OS Eastings: 408055

OS Northings: 135503

OS Grid: SU080355

Mapcode National: GBR 3Z6.XJV

Mapcode Global: VHB5P.844P

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 23 March 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182616

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320454

Location: Great Wishford, Wiltshire, SP2

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Great Wishford

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Great Wishford St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Great Wishford

Listing Text

GREAT WISHFORD SOUTH STREET
SU 03 NE
(west side)
3/19 Church of St. Giles
23.3.60.
GV II*
Anglican parish church. C13 chancel, C15 tower, 1863-64
restoration by T.H. Wyatt. Flint and limestone chequers, tiled
roof with fishscale tiles. Plan: west tower, nave with aisles,
chancel, south porch, north-east vestry. Gabled C19 porch has
moulded pointed doorway with hoodmould, pair quatrefoils to sides,
coped verge. South aisle has 2-light C16 cusped square-headed
window with hoodmould to left, 3-light to right of porch, string
course to parapet with saddleback coping. Nave clerestory with
three 2-light C16-style cusped windows, east end aisle has one
cusped C16-style window with hoodmould. Chancel has blocked
hollow-chamfered south door, 2-light square-headed window with
pointed lights and blocked window, east end has three C13 stepped
lancets with hoodmould carried over each, stone sundial to left.
North-east vestry rebuilt early C20 with flat roof and elliptical-
headed doorway, rainwater head dated 1861. North aisle has 2-
light, 3-light and 1-light ogee cusped C15 windows with hoodmould,
C19 planked door to basement, parapet same as south. Nave
clerestory same as south side. West end has 2-light Perpendicular
windows to aisles and 2-light C14-style window to nave. Three-
stage west tower with angle buttresses and string courses, square-
headed chamfered lights and gilded clock faces to second stage,
bellstage has 2-light cusped pointed Perpendicular windows with
louvres, heavily moulded string course with gargoyles to parapet
with pierced quatrefoils and moulded battlements with crocketed
corner pinnacles.
Interior: Moulded pointed C19 inner doorway with planked door.
C19 nave has 3-bay arch-braced roof on corbels with carved angels,
collar trusses to half-bays. Three-bay arcades with cylindrical
piers to moulded pointed arches, hoodmoulds with foliated
terminals. C19 double cyma-moulded tower arch. C19 pointed
chancel arch on corbels with short Purbeck marble shafts,
hoodmould. Short chancel has panelled wagon roof, C19 C13-style
piscina with inscription to Frederic de Veil Williams, died 1863.
1860's glass in east window. Very fine marble tomb on north wall
to Richard Grobham, died 1629, with barrel vaulted ceiling,
recumbent effigies of Richard and wife Margaret, composite columns
to cornice with pinnacles and heraldic arms, restored 1804.
Recumbent knight in ogee crocketed recess in north aisle probably
Nicholas Bonham, died 1386, Edith de Bonham tomb with recumbent
figure in C19 arch. Pre 1707 Royal Arms in north aisle. Fittings;
C12 cylindrical font with zig-zag and scalloped pilaster ornament,
C19 pews, pulpit and brass candelabra, Lavers and Barraud stained
glass in west window and in north aisle to Lord Herbert of Lea.
Wall tablets reset in tower include classical marble to Ann Birch
died 1808 by Osmond of Sarum, black marble to Richard Grobham, died
1703, marble to Daniel Oland died 1737 and to Trubridge family 1786
onwards. Manual fire engine said to be early C18 and good C17
parish chest in north aisle.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975)


Listing NGR: SU0805535503

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.