History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Model Farm, Cattlesheds and Attached Buildings Approximately 15 Metres South of Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Shirburn, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6687 / 51°40'7"N

Longitude: -0.9955 / 0°59'43"W

OS Eastings: 469566

OS Northings: 197131

OS Grid: SU695971

Mapcode National: GBR B1S.755

Mapcode Global: VHDVT.PBL4

Entry Name: Model Farm, Cattlesheds and Attached Buildings Approximately 15 Metres South of Farmhouse

Listing Date: 3 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182625

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248988

Location: Shirburn, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX49

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Shirburn

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Pyrton and Shirburn

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Aston Rowant

Listing Text

SHIRBURN
SU69NE
4/142 Model Farm, cattlesheds and
attached buildings approx.
15m. S of farmhouse

GV II


Cattlesheds, implement and cart sheds and smithy. 1856, by William Wilkinson for
the Earl of Macclesfield. Flemish bond brick; gabled Welsh slate roof; brick
stack. Central row of cattlesheds with six (originally open) yards to left, and
cartsheds and implement sheds flanking blacksmith's shop to right. One storey;
triple-gabled front. Gauged brick flat arch over mid C19 sliding door to feeding
passage of centre; segmental-arched entry to implement shed in right bay. 4-bay
cartshed with cast-iron posts to right. Interior: King-post roofs with iron
sanctions. Feeding passage to right of 6 covered cattlesheds: access to open
yards on left which were covered over later in the C19. This formed part of the
Home Farm complex by Wilkinson which was highly praised by contemporaries.
(Illustrated London News, December 12, 1857, pp. 584-5).


Listing NGR: SU6956697131

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.