History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Queens Head Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Thrandeston, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.3452 / 52°20'42"N

Longitude: 1.1008 / 1°6'2"E

OS Eastings: 611308

OS Northings: 276425

OS Grid: TM113764

Mapcode National: GBR TJ4.WNB

Mapcode Global: VHL9F.1B91

Entry Name: Old Queens Head Cottages

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 17 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182667

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280419

Location: Thrandeston, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Thrandeston

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Thrandeston St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


2/129 Nos 1 to 4 (inclusive) Old
29.7.55 Queen's Head Cottages
(formerly listed as
Queen's Head Inn)


House, latterly a public house and then 4 dwellings, now 3 dwellings. Mid
C17, extended C18 and C19, altered C20. Timber frame, extended in clay lump,
all plastered. Thatched roofs. 4 cells with parlour end to left, lower 2 bay
service addition to right. 1 storey and attics. Nos. 1 and 2 are original
building with 2 entrances, C19 and C20 2 and 3-light glazing bar casements,
hoodboards, a 3-light dormer. Rebuilt axial ridge stack to left of centre, a
C19 or C20 stack on front slope towards right. Left gable end pantiled lean-
to outshut, attic light, exposed plates and purlins. To rear pantiled and
thatched lean-to outshuts flank a C19 full height 2 bay wing with casements,
extruded gable end stack and a further 1 storey outbuilding to rear, all
pantiled. Nos. 3 and 4 added to right have an entrance and a 2-light casement
to left, central ridge stack. Right gable end 2 and 3-light casements and an
entrance, 2-light dormer to rear. Pantiled lean-to outshuts to front and
rear. Interior: Nos. 1 and 2, hall has stop chamfered cross axial binding
beam and fireplace bressumer, parlour has some close studding, stop chamfered
axial binding beam and joists. Frame largely concealed. First floor and Nos.
3 and 4 not inspected.

Listing NGR: TM1130876425

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.