History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Eaton Hastings, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6852 / 51°41'6"N

Longitude: -1.6212 / 1°37'16"W

OS Eastings: 426281

OS Northings: 198558

OS Grid: SU262985

Mapcode National: GBR 5VF.BY3

Mapcode Global: VHC0C.VX80

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 21 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182735

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251544

Location: Eaton Hastings, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Eaton Hastings

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Eaton Hastings

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Clanfield

Listing Text

EATON HASTINGS
SU29NE Church of St Michael
2/75
21/11/66
GV
II*

Parish church. Mainly C13 but restored in 1870, 1872 and 1895. Rubble
stone with a gabled stone tiled roof. 3 bay nave, 3-bay chancel, S porch
and W bellcote. 2- and 3-light Early English lancets to S wall of nave,
blocked Norman doorway, one Early English lancet on N wall of nave. W
window of 3 stepped trefoiled lancets with quatrefoils above. Single lancet
windows to N and S walls of chancel, E window of 3 stepped pointed-trefoiled
lights. C19 porch with gabled stone tiled roof and a C13 S doorway with a
rounded-trefoiled head. C19 gabled bellcote. The S aisle has disappeared
leaving an aisleless interior with the remains of an Early English arcade on
the S wall of the nave of plain character. Also an Early English cusped
tomb recess on S wall. Deep splays to the Norman and Early English windows
on N wall. Chancel arch is Transitional with abaci of saltire crosses but a
pointed arch with a slight chamfer. Early English sedilia in the chancel -
a recess with 2 half shafts on heads and with stiff leaf capitals. Also a
trefoil-headed piscina. Open rafter roof throughout with tie beams, queen
posts and tier of wind braces. Fine set of stained glass by Morris & Co:
1874 nave N side, St Matthew with Angel by Edward Burne-Jones; 1877 chancel
N side, Christ walking on the water also by Burne-Jones; 1935 W window, St
Raphael after a design by William Morris, St Michael after a design by Ford
Madox Brown and St Gabriel after another design by Morris. E window by
Clayton and Bell depicting scences from the gospels. Polygonal Jacobean
pulpit with much strapwork and arcading. Font also Jacobean - an octagonal
stone base with octagonal bowl and contemporary wooden cover with a crucifix
supported by 4 brackets.
A C Sewter, The Stained Glass of Williams Morris and his Circle, 1975, 2,
67.


Listing NGR: SU2628198558

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.