History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Catherine

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pettaugh, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1922 / 52°11'31"N

Longitude: 1.1703 / 1°10'13"E

OS Eastings: 616787

OS Northings: 259617

OS Grid: TM167596

Mapcode National: GBR VMH.GQR

Mapcode Global: VHLB7.75KB

Entry Name: Church of St Catherine

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182764

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279749

Location: Pettaugh, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Pettaugh

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Pettaugh St Catherine

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stonham Aspall

Listing Text

PETTAUGH EARL SOHAM ROAD
TM 15 NE
4/130 Church of St Catherine
9.12.55

- II*

Parish church; medieval with restoration of 1861. Nave, chancel, west tower.
Organ chamfer and vestry to the north and south porch, are additions possibly
of 1861. Random flint rubble, the chancel is plastered. Freestone dressings.
Plaintiled roofs with C19 crested ridge finials; a parapet gable at the east
end. A mutilated Norman pillar piscina in the sanctuary; fragments of C13
piscinas were discovered in C20 alterations. Mid C14 tower; west window with
grotesque corbels; early C16 rebuilding at upper level with flushwork panelled
parapets and a belfry window with lionhead gargoyle on the east side.
Chamfered C14 north and south doorways. Dagger-traceried east window with
grotesque corbels. North and south nave windows of C14, restored C19. Two
early C16 windows to south of chancel. Chancel arch with moulded capitals
possibly C17. Good C15 octagonal limestone font with angels and lions around
bowl and supporting lions below. Four brasses to C16 members of the Fastolfe
family. Four bench-ends with formal poppyheads in the chancel, one dated
1615.


Listing NGR: TM1678759617

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.