This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1936 / 52°11'37"N
Longitude: 1.1799 / 1°10'47"E
OS Eastings: 617430
OS Northings: 259809
OS Grid: TM174598
Mapcode National: GBR VMH.K3L
Mapcode Global: VHLB7.D4L6
Entry Name: Abbots Mead
Listing Date: 22 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182775
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279751
Location: Pettaugh, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Pettaugh
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Pettaugh St Catherine
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
PETTAUGH EARL SOHAM ROAD
TM 15 NE
4/132 Abbots Mead
Former farmhouse, c.1500. 2 storeys. A 3-cell open hall house. Timber-
framed and plastered. Thatched half-hipped roof; an axial late C17 chimney of
red brick (recapped in C19), and two C19 end chimneys. Mid C20 oak casements
with leaded lights. C20 plaintiled gabled entrance porch with boarded door.
The 2-bay open hall has an open truss with a cambered tie-beam, the arch-
braces chamfered and springing from shafts with well-moulded capitals.
Complete smoke-blackened coupled-rafter roof. Good close studding, with
convex arch windbracing at the corners. One blocked rear cross-entry doorway
has a 4-centred arched head. Some original diamond-mullioned windows.
Unusually prominent assembly marks. Heavy unchamfered floor joists at the
parlour end, and an early ladder stair. Both end walls of the open hall
originally had infill omitted at high level, permitting heat (and smoke) into
the end chambers. A fireplace was placed against the cross-entry in C17 and
an upper floor of chamfered joists was inserted in the hall. C19 alterations
include a single-bay extension to left. Formerly known as Valley Farmhouse.
Listing NGR: TM1743059809
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings