This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2098 / 52°12'35"N
Longitude: 1.1897 / 1°11'22"E
OS Eastings: 618025
OS Northings: 261635
OS Grid: TM180616
Mapcode National: GBR VMB.FLW
Mapcode Global: VHLB1.KQTB
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182799
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279756
Location: Winston, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Winston
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Winston St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 16 SE
Church of St Andrew
Parish church; medieval with restoration of c.1880. Nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. Mainly plastered flint rubble to nave, and flushed C19 flint facing to chancel; freestone dressings. Tower of flint rubble with extensive crude dressings of pink/buff brick; an unusual feature for this early date (probably early C15). Apart from the belfry windows with ashlar Y-tracery, the tower would have been entirely plastered; simple splayed two-centred doorways and windows. Slated nave roof, concrete plain tiled roofs to chancel and porch. Good early C16 porch of red brick with crowstepping, polygonal buttresses, and moulded and labelled doorway with three image niches above; moulded rafters, with arch-braced ridge-piece only. Various two-light windows in nave and chancel, from C14 to early C16: mostly restored C19, but one has C14 grotesque corbel stones. Mid C14 moulded south doorway. Roof of c.1500 over nave and chancel: moulded tie-beams with heavy knee-braces, coupled rafters with soulaces (the moulded crownpost above the chancel is probably a C19 introduction). Good C13 piscina with angle shafts with foliate capitals and cusped trefoiled head. Panelled C18 pulpit on turned clustered legs.
Listing NGR: TM1802561635
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings