History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Redisham Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Ringsfield, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4187 / 52°25'7"N

Longitude: 1.5303 / 1°31'49"E

OS Eastings: 640156

OS Northings: 285945

OS Grid: TM401859

Mapcode National: GBR XMX.9QR

Mapcode Global: VHM6Q.GGWN

Entry Name: Redisham Hall

Listing Date: 1 September 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182824

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282189

Location: Ringsfield, Waveney, Suffolk, NR34

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Ringsfield

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Ringsfield All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Redisham

Listing Text

RINGSFIELD
TM 48 NW
5/38 Redisham Hall
1-9-53
- II
Mansion. Original house built in 1823 for John Garden; considerably enlarged
and entirely refaced c.1880 for John Lewis Garden, with further additions of
1904 for Thomas De la Garde Grissell. Upper floor of north wing rebuilt
c.1955. Red brick, with a first floor band, moulded dentil eaves cornice and
flat parapet. Slated roof. 2 storeys and attics. 7 windows, the centre 3
bays set slightly forward: inset sashes with glazing bars and moulded brick
surrounds; segmental-headed tripartite windows each side of entrance. Most of
the ground floor windows are set high to accommodate a basement floor. Early
C20 brick entrance porch with stone clasping pilasters and bracketed segmental
hood; entrance door in 2 leaves, approached by a flight of steps. Above the
doorway is a coat of arms with the motto 'Press Forward'. 9 bays to rear: the
form of the original house is visible in the 5 centre bays with mansard roof
and 5 pedimented dormers. French windows lead onto a terrace with wrought
iron railings, dated 1905. Attached to the south are various outbuildings,
including the coachman's house; further to the left is a single-storey range
of stabling, which curves round to the rear. Original entrance hall with
vaulted ceiling and 5 semi-circular arched openings, 2 of them blind. Good
well stair of stone with a wrought iron balustrade and wreathed mahogany
handrail. Modillion-corniced dining room. In the north wing a ballroom with
barrel-vaulted ceiling of c.1900, enriched with a lozenge grid and bands of
plasterwork with running designs of foilage and flowers; part of a bold convex
frieze survives.


Listing NGR: TM4015685945

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.