This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.144 / 51°8'38"N
Longitude: -1.8063 / 1°48'22"W
OS Eastings: 413642
OS Northings: 138324
OS Grid: SU136383
Mapcode National: GBR 50G.64G
Mapcode Global: VHB5J.MHXV
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 18 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182845
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321418
Location: Durnford, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Durnford
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Woodford Valley with Archers Gate
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 13 NW
8/108 Church of St Andrew
Anglican parish church. Late C12, C13, C14 and C16, without major
C19 restoration. Rendered flint with white limestone and greensand
dressings. Tiled roof. Four-bay nave of C12, early C13 two-bay
chancel, partly rebuilt in C13, and C13 tower. Late C15 or C16
north and south porches, the north porch rebuilt in brick, probably
early C19. Nave and chancel have pilaster buttresses, splayed at
foot, those to east altered C14 to offset buttresses. Nave has C15
two-light windows with square heads and cusping. Two C16 timber
windows with leaded glazing on north. Chancel has lancets, triple
at east end gathered under single arch, and small north low-side
window. South chancel wall and south-east corner rebuilt and
include C15 two-light window and shouldered priest's door. North
porch originally timber framed, the side walls rebuilt in brick.
Open cusped barge boards. South porch timber framed on flint
sills. Posts with angle braces to tie-beams, and rafters with
collars. Central wall posts have pyramid chamfer stops. Tower of
2 stages. Two-light bell openings and parapet on corbel table.
North door has horizontal chevron order with carved hoodmould, a
defaced mask at apex. Scalloped capitals, the nook shafts missing.
Shuttlecock motif around tympanum of contrasted white and green
stone. South door has nailhead and horizontal chevron orders and
capitals on nook shafts, one missing. Chevron around tympanum
which is covered with basketwork in contrasted white and green
stones. Shouldered arch to door, and mass dials on jambs.
Interior: Wide nave with trussed rafter roof divided into three
bays by chamfered ties. Walls plastered and with wall paintings.
Chancel arch has horizontal chevron outer order on capitals carved
with grotesque dove and owl. Tall arches to north and south doors.
Pointed tower arch of 2 orders. A blind inner arch of early C12
window on south side. C18 organ gallery on two Corinthian columns
and fielded panelling to balcony front. Chancel has barrel vaulted
rafters with tie-beam. Pointed rere-arches to window embrasures.
Two aumbries in east wall. Floor flagged. Wall paintings: In
nave, generalised swirl pattern in red line work. On south wall, a
St Christopher(?) and Doom(?) over chancel arch. Marbling on east
end of north wall and figure in niche painted in embrasure of north
window. East wall of chancel has formal flowers on red lined
masonry with a top frieze. Paintings not in a well preserved
condition. Fittings: A remarkable collection of fine fittings and
furniture. Font C12, a round bowl with compact interlocking
arcades and scrolls over. Pulpit, on south, 1619, carved arched
panels and wainscot of panelling behind, matched by reader's desk
on the north side, having a top range and open balustrade on round
columns. Pulpit hangings and cushion sign I.C 1657. C17 revolving
lectern, bulbous acanthus carved stem with two sided book stand,
the chained 'Replie to Harding's Answere' of 1565, and Jewel's
'Defence of the Apologie' (1567) stolen. Most pews of oak, C15 or
C16, with panelled ends and a set of simple earlier medieval pews
at the back of the church. C19 choir stalls. Elaborate traceried
late C17 communion rail with knob finials to stanchions. Late C16
or C17 altar table with carved runners, legs and stretchers. Iron
bound parish chest. Organ by George Jackson of Oxford in a Gothic
case. Framed large Royal Arms of 1678 signed by John Pile and
Henry Rakings. Monuments: In chancel, south side (a) Limestone
tomb of 1607. Floor standing chest with niche over within three-
centred arch. Pilasters and cornice. Within niche, a pictorial
brass and inscription to Edward Younge of Little Durnford. Arms
and fourteen children. (b) Floor standing limestone aedicule with
attached Tuscan columns, entablature and pediment, to John Younge,
member of the Long Parliament, died 1710. (c) Large limestone
wall monument with pediment, side scrolls and apron, to Edward
Younge, died 1720, relating family and personal history. (d)
White marble tablet to Louisa Harris, died 1826, by Osmund. (e)
Similar, to Hon Katherine Harrison, died 1834. (f) Marble plaque
to Ari Vanshaick, servant of the Earl of Malmesbury, died 1799.
(g) Ann Martin, servant to L. Harris, died 1820; (h) White
marble with painted and engraved inscription to C.G.V. Tryon,
Keeper of the Privy Purse 1949-71, died 1976, and (i) Marble
tablet with apron and urn over, to Mrs. Louise Gout, governess, of
Lausanne, died 1811. On south side of nave, two medieval wall
tombs; (a) Ogee moulded canopy, the cusping broken, and (b) A
three-centred moulded canopy over an engraved cross. Glass: In
north nave window, reset pieces of a C15 bishop, a crucifixion and
margin pieces. Pre-reformation Angelus bell in tower. C17 chair
to reader's desk.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England: WILTSHIRE)
Listing NGR: SU1364138327
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings