History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shipton Grange, Shipton Grange House and Boundary Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Shipton-under-Wychwood, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8553 / 51°51'19"N

Longitude: -1.5993 / 1°35'57"W

OS Eastings: 427694

OS Northings: 217487

OS Grid: SP276174

Mapcode National: GBR 5SB.QGL

Mapcode Global: VHBZM.7MCL

Entry Name: Shipton Grange, Shipton Grange House and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 19 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182851

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251785

Location: Shipton-under-Wychwood, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Shipton-under-Wychwood

Built-Up Area: Shipton under Wychwood

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Shipton-under-Wychwood

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Shipton under Wychwood

Listing Text

SHIPTON-UNDER-WYCHWOOD HIGH STREET
SP 2617-2717
(east side)
7/71
Shipton Grange, Shipton
Grange House and East
- Boundary Wall
GV II
Converted stables. Circa 1903, perhaps by Perkins and Bulmer. North wing largely
C17 and C19. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and hipped roof in imitation
stone slates. Three ashlar chimneys, one lead-capped, louvred cupola to right.
Long low symmetrical block in a Vanbruggian style. Plain, raised end quoins, wide
impost level band. Consists of long ranges with a major central archway of 2 arches
and 2 subsidiary ones, all 3 segment headed and within pedimented ashlar gables (the
centre and left-hand ones with ball finials). Single storey to road; 1:2:2:2 rhythm
of arched blind windows (one glazed) in raised surrounds with impost and key blocks.
Panelled gables to centre (1905-06) and right-hand (late C20). Right-hand roof hip
contains bell housing. Late C20 rooflights at intervals. Carriage lamp of circa
1903 to central gable. Important return to north forming symmetrical approach to
Shipton Court with south wing of Ayton (qv). Five gables with blocked gable
openings, one 3-light mullion window to west. One chimney, 3 ridge vents and a
well-restored clock turret with cupola and wind-vane, this is in the east bay which
retains its stone slates (clock mechanism 1807, bell in cupola 1834); it has an
angled bay east front and balustrated parapet and acts as a garden pavilion to
Shipton Court (qv). Another important feature to Shipton Court is the east boundary
wall of the former stable yard (now belonging to Shipton Grange and Shipton Grange
House). This is circa 1900, rubble, about 12 ft high and links the east end of the
north wing with the dovecote (qv under Plum Lane). It is an important element in
the garden layout of Shipton Court.


Listing NGR: SP2769417487

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.