This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1983 / 52°11'53"N
Longitude: 1.0644 / 1°3'51"E
OS Eastings: 609516
OS Northings: 259991
OS Grid: TM095599
Mapcode National: GBR TL0.5X8
Mapcode Global: VHLB5.D0JL
Entry Name: Weylands Cottages
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1182917
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279371
Location: Stonham Earl, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Stonham Earl
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Earl Stonham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
EARL STONHAM WICKS GREEN
TM 05 NE
4/122 Nos. 1, 2 and 3, Weylands
3 cottages; built early C16 as one 3-cell house with remodelling of c.1550. A
single-cell unit-house (also of c.1550), is attached corner-to-corner, and now
comprises the 3rd cottage. 2 storeys. Timber-framed and plastered with some
C18 cable-pattern pargetting; the unit-house has original brick-nogging
between studs, from which the later plaster has partly fallen. Thatched roof
with axial and gable chimneys of red brick. C19 and C20 small-pane casements.
C19 boarded entrance doors. The gable facing the road is part of the c.1550
remodelling and has an oversailing gable tiebeam, embattled and moulded, on
short pendant posts with rose-carved arch braces. There is evidence for an
archbraced collar in the gable above. All the c.1550 work is of good quality:
a blocked doorway has an enriched 4-centred arched head. 2-tier wind-braced
butt-purlin roofs. The unit-house consists of a hall with end chimney, and a
ceiled chamber above; both have roll-moulded beams and joists above, and a
faint but quite-complete scheme of original wall-decoration survives. The
rolls have red and white barber-shop pole stripes. A frieze of black crosses
encircles the hall. The main beams have running interlace painted in black
along the soffit. The studwork, very closely spaced, is picked out in red.
The principal posts in the hall have moulded and embattled jowls supporting
the upper floor. Blocked windows have square mullions. In poor condition at
date of survey.
Listing NGR: TM0951659991
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings