History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist and St Felix

A Grade II* Listed Building in Felixstowe, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9608 / 51°57'39"N

Longitude: 1.3458 / 1°20'44"E

OS Eastings: 629960

OS Northings: 234438

OS Grid: TM299344

Mapcode National: GBR WRY.518

Mapcode Global: VHLC9.8ZT6

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist and St Felix

Listing Date: 10 February 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1182986

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286273

Location: Felixstowe, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP11

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Felixstowe

Built-Up Area: Felixstowe

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Felixstowe St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Felixstowe

Listing Text

FELIXSTOWE ORWELL ROAD
TM 23 SE
3/29 Church of St John
the Baptist and St Felix
II*

Parish church, 1894-99 by Sir Arthur Blomfield, completed 1914. Red brick,
Bath stone dressings, tile roofs. South west tower, aisled nave, south porch,
chancel, north transept, south lady chapel. Tower. 4 stages and spire. Stepped
angle buttresses, faceted stone spirelets , stone parapet, octagonal stone
spire. South doorway, moulded arched entrance beneath stone gable with
crocketed finials. Paired lancets at 1st stage and belfry. Clock face on
south, east and west faces. Stair tower on north side. Quatrefoil lucarne
openings to spire. Nave of 6 bays, articulated by buttressed brick pilaster
strips, alternating with clerestory windows. Aisle lancets, singly or in groups
of 2 or 3. Clerestory windows: encircled cinquefoils alternate with sexfoils
in spherical triangles. Gabled south porch,stone dressed brick, brick parapet,
doorway of multiple mouldings. West window. Group of 4 lancets beneath encircled
sexfoil. Chancel and Lady chapel in similar style. East window 3 grouped
lancets below encircled cinquefoil. Interior: Nave of 4 1/2 bays, north and south
aisles. Arcades of circular drum iron piers faced with brick, brick bases
and capitals, pointed moulded brick arches, the mouldings running into broach
stops of stone. Brick walls, punctuated by horizontal stone and roughcast
bands. 6 bay scissor braced crownpost roof. Aisle roofs queen posts with lateral
braces. Baptistery at west end north aisle; stone font, hexagonal stem, 12-
sided bowl. Rood screen and parclose screen, set on stone base, 1910 by Gerald
Cogswell. Pointed chancel arch with half arch to each sideleading to transept
and lady chapel. East window flanked by blind arched openings with blank Y
tracery. Piscina and 2 sedilia with cinquefoil heads. Mosaic marble reredos
framed by polychromatic mural decoration. 4 cant wagon roof. 2-bay arcade
to south divides off Lady Chapel. Pulpit 1903 by Whitcombe and Cogswell. Glass
mainly James Powell and Sons, London.


Listing NGR: TM2996034438

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.