History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grove Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Thurston, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2476 / 52°14'51"N

Longitude: 0.844 / 0°50'38"E

OS Eastings: 594246

OS Northings: 264856

OS Grid: TL942648

Mapcode National: GBR RGH.45T

Mapcode Global: VHKD6.LR1V

Entry Name: Grove Farmhouse

Listing Date: 9 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183041

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281250

Location: Thurston, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Thurston

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Thurston St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Thurston

Listing Text


TL 96 SW THURSTON GREAT GREEN: TOSTOCK ROAD

4/147 Grove Farmhouse
-

GV II

Farmhouse, mid C16 with major remodelling of 1919. Timber-framed, encased in
red brick of 1919. Plaintiled roof: 2 rear chimneys of late C16/early C17,
one with diagonally-set square flues, and pink/buff bricks of 1580-1620; the
other with sawtooth shaft of red brick, c.1600-1650. 2 storeys. 3 windows.
External features of 1919: small-pane casements, a pair of bay windows at
ground storey with plaintiled roof continued over entrance to form a porch: 6-
panelled door, the upper 4 panels glazed. Before 1919 the house consisted of
a cross-wing to right, a cross-entry to centre and a hall range to left which
has probably been truncated. The room at the front of the crosswing has good
exposed framing of c.1550. The 1st floor was jettied at the gable and has
carved shafts with moulded capitals, now internal. Beneath the jetty there
has been an oriel window and sidelights. Blocked cavetto-moulded mullioned
windows in two walls. Good unchamfered floor joists, laid flat. 3 rooms have
lintelled open fireplaces. Framing otherwise largely concealed. The roof was
entirely rebuilt 1919. Included despite alterations for good quality features
of C16 and early C17.


Listing NGR: TL9424664856

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.