History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bruisyard Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bruisyard, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2446 / 52°14'40"N

Longitude: 1.4176 / 1°25'3"E

OS Eastings: 633405

OS Northings: 266214

OS Grid: TM334662

Mapcode National: GBR WNK.C5S

Mapcode Global: VHM7F.JV85

Entry Name: Bruisyard Hall

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183054

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285260

Location: Bruisyard, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP17

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Bruisyard

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bruisyard St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bruisyard

Listing Text

TM 36 NW BRUISYARD HALL ROAD

4/22 Bruisyard Hall
-
25.10.51.
- II*


House; on site of collegiate chantry transferred from Campsea Ash in 1354 and
converted to a nunnery of Poor Clares in 1364. Left hand wing incorporates
C14-C15 remains of the nunnery; remainder of house early C17, with later
alterations. Red brick with some flint and stone admixture and remains of
plasterwork; the left hand wing has some flint rubble walling, mainly on the
west side where there is a blocked arch; plaintiled roof. A main range with
projecting cross wing to the left hand side and 2 wings to the rear. 2
storeys and attics. Almost all the original window openings have been
blocked; 6-bay main range (including porch), 2-light and 3-light mullion and
transom casement windows. Central 3-storey entrance porch, the upper floors
possibly a later addition: octagonal buttresses with pinnacles, crowstepped
gable with apex pinnacle; 4-centre arched opening, above which is a stone coat
of arms and above the first floor window a large painted sundial; original
side windows in upper floor; the roof of the porch is crowned by an open
timber bell turret. Within the porch is a doorway with original doorframe,
plank door and later rectangular fanlight. The rear wings have the original
rusticated plaster window surrounds and gable end stacks corbel led out at
first floor level with a single square flue set diamondwise. Interior with
some good moulded ground floor beams and carved stone fireplace on the first
floor.


Listing NGR: TM3340566214

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.