This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3211 / 51°19'16"N
Longitude: -2.2099 / 2°12'35"W
OS Eastings: 385468
OS Northings: 158024
OS Grid: ST854580
Mapcode National: GBR 1ST.03X
Mapcode Global: VH972.N221
Entry Name: 2 and 3, Fore Street
Listing Date: 29 December 1950
Last Amended: 26 November 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183060
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313975
Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14
Civil Parish: Trowbridge
Built-Up Area: Trowbridge
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Trowbridge St James
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
Nos 2 and 3
(formerly listed as
No 3 (Barclay's Bank))
ST 8558 4/82 29.12.50.
Older house, refronted circa 1700. 2 storey and attic. Ashlar stone. Projecting
plinth. String at 1st floor level. Narrow moulded cornice and parapet with moulded
coping. Formerly 4 now 3 tall carved vases on parapet (right hand missing). Stone
tile roof. 3 pedimented dormers, the central segmental, with heavily moulded heads.
each with 2 light casements, and decorative leadwork to front verges. 7 glazing
bar sash windows with bracketted cills and stone architrave surrounds on 1st floor.
8-panel central door on ground floor in stone doorcase of engaged Doric columns
and entablature with block triglyph and rounded frieze, moulded cornice and segmental
modillioned pediment. Barclay's Bank has modern windows to left hand of door and
yard entry in left hand corner. The ground floor of No 2 altered and 'restored'
with central replica Doric doorcase with segmental pediment, 6 panel door and steps
protected by railings. Doorway flanked by glazing bar sashes with bracketted cills
and moulded architraves. No 3 retains railing to an exiguous area and has been
lately embellished by a projecting cast iron bank sign and ornate cast iron panelled
standards with a lamp overthrow. In the east gable wall are traces of timber framing
(now exposed) and in the roof and fine array of wind braces.
Nos 1 to 9 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: ST8546658017
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings