This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5991 / 51°35'56"N
Longitude: -1.6542 / 1°39'15"W
OS Eastings: 424046
OS Northings: 188970
OS Grid: SU240889
Mapcode National: GBR 5WC.NL6
Mapcode Global: VHC0Y.82VH
Entry Name: Elm Tree House
Listing Date: 10 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183075
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250593
Location: Shrivenham, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN6
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Shrivenham
Built-Up Area: Shrivenham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Shrivenham with Watchfield and Bourton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1. SHRIVENHAM HIGH STREET
SU 2488 8/44 10.11.52 Elm Tree House
Circa 1700 addition to an earlier house of rubble stone and dressed stone chamfered
quoins and dressed stone openings with a hipped stone tiled roof with lead ridges and
2 tall side brick stacks. E shaped plan with the staircase well in the shorter,
middle arm. S front of 2 storeys and attic, 5 window range. 2 pedimented dormers
with 8 pane casements in the roof, the remaining windows 4 light wood mullioned and
transomed, those on the ground floor slightly larger. Wooden modillion cornice and
sheltering the centrally placed 6 panel door with 2 rectangular fanlights is an open
circa 1780 Tuscan Doric porch with entablature, triglyph frieze and modillion
cornice. 1 storey wing to the E set back, of rubble stone with a gabled stone tiled
roof and C20 casement and door. A further 1 storey wing of brick projects to the E.
The rear of the house is stuccoed and has further wood mullioned and transomed windows
and an oval light to the staircase well. The W wall has 4 blocked windows in the
circa 1700 section and 4 casements in brick surrounds in the earlier section.
Inside the ground floor room on the SW preserves a complete bolection moulded panelled
scheme of circa 1700 and the SE room across the central passage has similar panelling
to dado level along its N and W walls. Both doors to these rooms are of the same
date. The cantilevered staircase is also of the period with a moulded handrail,
twisted balusters and carved tread ends.
In the front garden there is an early C19 cast iron pump. A 5 ft chequer brick wall
on a stone base with a dressed stone coping runs along the S front. To the E this has
been partially rebuilt.
Listing NGR: SU2404688970
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings