History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Stonham Parva, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1994 / 52°11'58"N

Longitude: 1.1001 / 1°6'0"E

OS Eastings: 611951

OS Northings: 260220

OS Grid: TM119602

Mapcode National: GBR TL2.2XY

Mapcode Global: VHLB0.0ZX9

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 26 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183079

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279386

Location: Stonham Parva, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stonham Parva

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Earl Stonham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stonham Aspall

Listing Text

LITTLE STONHAM NORWICH ROAD
TM 16 SW
2/135 The Old Rectory
-
9-12-55 (formerly listed as
- Rectory)
II

Former rectory. A late C15 open-hall house of Wealden type, with alterations
mainly of late C18 and mid C19. Timber-framed and plastered. Concrete tiled
roof with axial C19 chimneys of red brick. The centre hall range has small-
pane late C18 sashes with flush frames and architraves. 6-panelled entrance
door of c.1800, the centre panels fielded, the upper panels glazed; fielded
panels to the reveals, and a cornice on flat pilasters. The 2-bay open hall
has a good complete smoke-blackened crownpost roof; the open truss has an
octagonal crownpost with a moulded and embattled capital, 4-way braces (the
lateral braces are not morticed to the collar and are purely decorative).
Studwork at both ends of the hall with both arch and tension wind-bracing.
Other framing largely concealed or altered by C19 remodelling. The original
parlour cell to right was demolished and rebuilt higher in mid C19, with
plastered brick walling and small-pane sashes. The adjoining C19 service
range to left, now a separate dwelling known as Old Rectory Cottage, is not of
special interest.


Listing NGR: TM1195160220

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.