History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Coach House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishopstrow, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1951 / 51°11'42"N

Longitude: -2.1476 / 2°8'51"W

OS Eastings: 389784

OS Northings: 143996

OS Grid: ST897439

Mapcode National: GBR 1VF.3VC

Mapcode Global: VH97P.Q7J5

Entry Name: The Coach House

Listing Date: 11 November 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183101

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313226

Location: Bishopstrow, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Bishopstrow

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Bishopstrow St Aldhelm

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Bishopstrow

Listing Text

BISHOPSTROW MILL LANE
ST 84 SE
(west side)
3/9
The Coach House
11.11.76

GV II

Detached house. Mid C17 with C20 addition to north. English bond
brick with limestone dressings, half-hipped tiled roof, brick
stacks. Gable-end to road, now L-plan. C17 2-storey, single
window south front has central C20 door in porch with hipped roof,
either side are two recessed chamfered cross windows, moulded
plinth and stone quoins. First floor, now reduced in height, has
one central C20 casement. Left return has 2-light mullioned window
to first floor. Right return has two C20 casements to first floor.
Rear is rubble stone with blocked window and C20 round-arched
light. Attached 1970s wing in brick cavity walling, half-hipped
tiled roof, details in same style as C17 build such as string
course and single light and 3-light stone mullioned windows. C17
range is remains of or an outbuilding to a larger house; the
Bishopstrow House destroyed by fire c.1800 and replaced by present
Bishopstrow House (q.v.) on north side of Warminster Road. C20
wing added since 1976.


Listing NGR: ST8978443996

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.