History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holyoak Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Combs, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1687 / 52°10'7"N

Longitude: 0.9973 / 0°59'50"E

OS Eastings: 605070

OS Northings: 256508

OS Grid: TM050565

Mapcode National: GBR SK0.0YM

Mapcode Global: VHKDP.7RLB

Entry Name: Holyoak Farmhouse

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183126

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279844

Location: Combs, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Combs

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Combs St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stowmarket

Listing Text

COMBS CHURCH LANE
TM 05 NE

3/69 Holyoak Farmhouse
9.12.55

GV II

Farmhouse. Early and mid C16 in 3 sections. 2 storeys. 3-cell plan.
Timber-framed and roughcast: on the west side the upper storey is long-wall
jettied, with exposed joist-ends and bressumer. Thatched roof with axial and
gable chimneys of C19 red brick. Early C20 casements. In a lean-to pantiled
C20 extension is a boarded entrance door. The central section of the house
comprises a 2-bay hall with chamber above; it contains an altered lintelled
open fireplace and formerly had a roof of the coupled-rafter or crownpost
form. Later in C16 the range was extended, perhaps simultaneously, in both
directions. All phases have heavy unchamfered floor joists, close studding
and jettied upper floor. Wind-braced C16 clasped purl in roof. Until c.1960
this was a dairy range, just detached from the main farmhouse which stood on
the west side. The origin of the name of the farmstead is in a chained Bible
which was attached to a tree stump. This formerly stood close to the north-
west corner of the granary-cartshed 30m north of the farmhouse (see below).


Listing NGR: TM0507056508

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.