History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Mill House

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanford in the Vale, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6438 / 51°38'37"N

Longitude: -1.5076 / 1°30'27"W

OS Eastings: 434167

OS Northings: 194004

OS Grid: SU341940

Mapcode National: GBR 6X9.X8D

Mapcode Global: VHC0M.TYB7

Entry Name: The Old Mill House

Listing Date: 15 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183137

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251083

Location: Stanford in the Vale, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Stanford in the Vale

Built-Up Area: Stanford in the Vale

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Stanford-in-the-Vale with Goosey and Hatford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Balking

Listing Text

STANFORD-IN-THE-VALE UPPER GREEN
SU39SW, SU3493 (North side)
5/253, 9/253 No.6 (The Old Mill House)

GV II

Mill and millers house. Mid C18, remodelled c.1930. Random bond brick, except
coursed limestone rubble with brick dressings to right of front door; old tiled
roof; brick stacks. L-plan. 2 storeys; 5-window range. Gabled porch of c.1930 in
front of original doorway. Irregular fenestration. Segmental brick arches over
2- and 3-light leaded casements to left of door and, to right, 2-light cross
window with leaded casements; window to right inserted in place of door which
was reached by limestone steps which still run along front walls; 3 blocked
window openings with limestone ashlar quoins beneath eaves to right; tile-clad
gabled roof dormers with 2-light leaded casements. Dentilled eaves to left wing.
Gabled roof; gable end stacks. The right wall of the wing extending from the
front left wall has 4-window range of segmental arches over 2- and 3-light
leaded casements on the right side wall, and timber lintels over two 2-light
leaded casements on the left side wall. Rear has semi-circular arch over blocked
housing for mill wheel shaft and segmental arches over 2 two-light cross windows
and twin C20 gabled dormers; gabled brick and tiled wing to rear left remodelled
and extended in late C20. Interior: First floor remodelled c.1930 and later when
entire mill building to right of door was remodelled with a C17 moulded
bressumer from another house fitted in the remodelled gable wall fireplace.
Quarry tile flooring; 4- and 6-panelled doors in moulded architraves. Closed
string quarter-turn with landing stairs opposite front door have mid C18 barley
sugar balusters.


Listing NGR: SU3416794004

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.