History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Oak Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Stonham Parva, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.21 / 52°12'35"N

Longitude: 1.1021 / 1°6'7"E

OS Eastings: 612038

OS Northings: 261399

OS Grid: TM120613

Mapcode National: GBR TKW.HFB

Mapcode Global: VHLB0.1QZ5

Entry Name: Oak Cottage

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 26 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183164

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279392

Location: Stonham Parva, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stonham Parva

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Earl Stonham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stonham Aspall

Listing Text

LITTLE STONHAM NORWICH ROAD
TM 16 SW
2/141 Oak Cottage (formerly listed

-
9-12-55 as The Lilacs and Rose Cottage
- II

House, C15 and mid C16 with major late C17 alterations. 2 storeys. 3-cell
lobby-entrance plan. Timber-framed and plastered with late C20 false half-
timbering. Thatched roof, hipped at right hand end, with axial C17 chimney of
red brick, and one C19 gabled casement dormer. C18 casements, one at ground
storey having transomes; other C19 small-pane casements. C17 oak plank
entrance door with an oblong fanlight reconstructed from C17 ovolo mullions; a
small C20 plaintiled canopy. The 3 cells are of different dates: the parlour
block to left is of mid C16 with heavy studwork with arch wind-bracing; the
gable (formerly half-hipped) has a pair of base-crucks with tension-bracing.
Altered coupled-rafter roof. The upper floor was renewed in late C17. The
service cell to right is of early C16 or possibly C15: a binding joist retains
a heavy knee of mediaeval form. A diamond mullioned window, and clasped-
purlin roof in this cell probably of late C16 or early C17. The central hall
was totally rebuilt in late C17: small-section floor-joists, butt purlin roof
and wide lintelled open fireplace. A number of moulded C16/C17 plank doors.


Listing NGR: TM1203861399

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.