History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9411 / 51°56'28"N

Longitude: -1.5456 / 1°32'44"W

OS Eastings: 431333

OS Northings: 227054

OS Grid: SP313270

Mapcode National: GBR 6SS.62L

Mapcode Global: VHBZ8.5G8S

Entry Name: Town Hall

Listing Date: 23 April 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183188

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251653

Location: Chipping Norton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Chipping Norton

Built-Up Area: Chipping Norton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Chipping Norton with Over Norton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Salford

Listing Text

CHIPPING NORTON MARKET PLACE
SP 3027-3127
3/42
Town Hall
23.4.52
GV
II*
Town Hall. 1842 in the Palladian style (which had a short-lived vogue at that
time) by G S Repton. Ashlar to main council chamber,coursed and squared rubble to
the plinth. In the form of a temple with a portico on the E front and pediments
to the N and S ends. The E front is a symmetrical composition with a central
tetra-style Tuscan Doric portico and a central 6-panel door with moulded archi-
trave and flat hood on carved consoles. Flanking this are round headed niches
in the end bays which have slight projection. The W front is of 9-bays articulated
by Doric pilasters and similar niches to the end bays. It is lit by C20 sash
windows of immense-length. The N front which faces the Market Place has the same
rhythm of pilasters and sashes, is 3 bays wide and its pediment is topped by a
round arched bell cote. The whole is carried on a basement with round arched
openings now sashed but once open. Contemporary iron railings with spear heads
and vase finials to N and S ends. This rare Palladian Revival building performs a
visual role in the Market Place and dominates the townscape.

Listing NGR: SP3133327054

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.