History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Valley Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Huntingfield, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3101 / 52°18'36"N

Longitude: 1.4364 / 1°26'11"E

OS Eastings: 634344

OS Northings: 273562

OS Grid: TM343735

Mapcode National: GBR WMT.3ZF

Mapcode Global: VHM77.V67D

Entry Name: Valley Farmhouse

Listing Date: 19 March 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183189

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286115

Location: Huntingfield, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP19

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Huntingfield

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Huntingfield St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Huntingfield

Listing Text

TM 37 SW HUNTINGFIELD LAUNDRY LANE

8/96 Valley Farmhouse
-
- II

Farmhouse. Early C17 main range to rear with probably C16 cross wing; the
front range was added c.1770, perhaps by Sir Robert Taylor, to form a double
pile plan. Timber framed and plastered; plaintiled roofs except north slope
of the cross wing which is pantiled. 2 storeys, with an attic to the rear
range. The main facade faces south towards Heveningham Hall, and was designed
to improve the view from that building: 7 windows, arranged symmetrically
2:3:2, the centre brought forward in the form of a canted bay; sash windows
with glazing bars in flush frames, moulded architraves and cornices. Good
doorway with partly glazed door, semi-circular fanlight with ornamental
glazing bars and raised key above; 2 threequarter-attached Composite columns
carry a broken pediment with modillions. Wooden eaves modillion cornice;
there was originally a flat parapet, now removed. To the rear is a flat-
roofed staircase extension of c.1770 with a fine Venetian window; internally
the window has fluted pilasters and a frieze with paterae. Immediately to the
right of the staircase addition is a doorway with 6-panel door and rectangular
fanlight. There is a good well staircase with slender turned balusters and
carved ends to the treads; against the wall is a half handrail supported by
pilasters. Simple moulded plaster cornices to main rooms of front range. The
rear range has newel stairs (now partly disused) and an arched brick fireplace
on the first floor; some good exposed framing, especially to the cross wing
which originally extended further to the west. Sandon, Suffolk Houses, 1977,
pp.267-8.


Listing NGR: TM3434473562

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.