This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3215 / 51°19'17"N
Longitude: -2.2094 / 2°12'33"W
OS Eastings: 385506
OS Northings: 158061
OS Grid: ST855580
Mapcode National: GBR 1ST.085
Mapcode Global: VH972.N1CS
Entry Name: 67, Fore Street
Listing Date: 29 December 1950
Last Amended: 26 November 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183208
English Heritage Legacy ID: 314011
Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14
Civil Parish: Trowbridge
Built-Up Area: Trowbridge
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Trowbridge St James
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
(North West, Side)
(formerly listed as No 67
(Central Conservative Club))
ST 8558 5/75 29.12.50.
----- - ---
C16 and C17 with front circa 1700 ranging with that of No 66. 2 storeys, ashlar
stone front on projecting plinth. Moulded string over ground floor windows, plain
string at 1st floor window head level. Moulded cornice with plain parapet and
coping, the parapet rebuilt. Double roman tile roof, hipped to west. 5 ranges
of windows with moulded architraves, has mid C19 shop front to right on ground
floor. 4-light shop window and glazed door at right hand, all framed with narrow
panelled pilasters, plain frieze and moulded cornice. 3 left hand 1st floor windows
millioned and transomed cross windows, the rest sashes (with glazing bars to 2
right hand 1st floor windows.) 2 windows in stone architraves on ground floor
to left hand, and central 8-panel door, scroll brass knocker, small brackets with
broken cornice and pediment. Narrow light to right. Return to west similarly
treated, 2 windows (glazing bar sashes) and a small decorated oval on each floor.
The interior is more interesting still: the front room on the left is wall panelled
(circa 1700) with, also, an eared architrave to the fireplace and fluted pilasters
to the doorcase. The hall is also panelled and has pedimented doorcases to left
and right. At the back is a very fine late C16 or C17 panelled room with deep
moulded cross beams [C18 fireplace however]; above on the first floor the rooms
have solid oak stud partitions and 1 room (now subdivided) has thin moulded strips
to the ceiling dividing it into rectangular and hexagonal panels.
Nos 65 to 68 (consec), Nos 70 to 73 (consec), railings and gates to Nos 68 and
70, dwarf stone wall to No 72, No 64 (Lloyds Bank) and Usher's Brewery Corner Block,
form an outstanding group with No 8 and premises occupied by K.J. Lestor to south
west of No 8 Wicker Hill.
Listing NGR: ST8550658061
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings