History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Waterstock House, Stable Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Waterstock, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7462 / 51°44'46"N

Longitude: -1.0794 / 1°4'45"W

OS Eastings: 463651

OS Northings: 205674

OS Grid: SP636056

Mapcode National: GBR B0P.HWY

Mapcode Global: VHCXY.7CPR

Entry Name: Waterstock House, Stable Court

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Last Amended: 5 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183221

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246745

Location: Waterstock, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX33

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Waterstock

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Waterstock

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Waterperry

Listing Text

WATERSTOCK
SP60NW
6/224 Waterstock House, stable court
18/07/63 (Formerly listed as Stable
block NE of Waterstock House)

GV II


Stable court. Late C18; barn early C18. Coursed squared limestone rubble with
ashlar dressings; timber framing in barn; old plain-tile roofs. Courtyard plan.
Rear and left ranges: one storey plus loft; front ranges; single storey. Rear
range has 3 stable doors, with rectangular overlights, separated by pairs of
16-pane sashes, all with stone flat arches. Mounting block to left of centre.
Left range is irregular with a central segmental-arched carriage entrance. Right
range incorporates a partly-weatherboarded 3-bay barn; wall facing court is
stone but wall and porch at rear and one end wall are timber-framed and partly
infilled with brick. Single-storey, hip-roofed front ranges flank ashlar gate
piers, the left range having a timber-framed section in its outer wall.
Interior: Barn has a clasped-purlin roof with short curved under-principals.
Probably contemporary with the house built 1787-91 by S.P. Cockerell for Sir
Henry Ashhurst, and mostly demolished 1953.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.Vl1, p.220).


Listing NGR: SP6365105674

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.