This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0718 / 52°4'18"N
Longitude: 0.7153 / 0°42'55"E
OS Eastings: 586196
OS Northings: 244966
OS Grid: TL861449
Mapcode National: GBR QH4.1P8
Mapcode Global: VHKF3.C614
Entry Name: Chapel at Melford Place
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Last Amended: 9 February 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183356
English Heritage Legacy ID: 278313
Location: Long Melford, Babergh, Suffolk, CO10
Civil Parish: Long Melford
Built-Up Area: Long Melford
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Long Melford Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
LITTLE ST MARY'S
5377 (West Side)
Chapel at Melford
Place (formerly listed
as Melford Place)
TL 84 SE 8/561 10.1.53.
The chapel is the only remaining part of Melford Place, originally the
seat of the Martyn family. The original house is said to have been demolished
at the beginning of the C19 and replaced by another house which was burnt
down in 1967. The Chapel, which is C14 in origin, has a waggon roof,
panelled ceiling and a carved cornice. It is now incorporated into the
new house built on the site. The exterior much altered, is gabled on
the street front, faced in cement colour-washed. There is 1 tall mullioned
and transomed lattice leaded window with red brick dressings and a hood
mould. Roof tiled.
Listing NGR: TL8619644966
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings