This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8614 / 51°51'40"N
Longitude: -1.4921 / 1°29'31"W
OS Eastings: 435075
OS Northings: 218209
OS Grid: SP350182
Mapcode National: GBR 6TT.7M0
Mapcode Global: VHBZP.3G2X
Entry Name: Stable Block Approximately 40 Metres North East of Cornbury House
Listing Date: 27 August 1957
Last Amended: 13 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183387
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252456
Location: Cornbury and Wychwood, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Cornbury and Wychwood
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
CORNBURY AND WYCHWOOD CORNBURY PARK
13/16 Stable block approx. 40m NE of
27/08/57 Cornbury House
(Formerly listed as Stables at
Stable block. 1663, by Hugh May, with some later alterations and additions.
Limestone ashlar with stone slate roofs, hipped over pavilions. One storey, with
2-storey pavilions. North-east front: plinth, frieze and stone dentil eaves
cornice. Trancated lateral stone stacks to pavilions. 3:3:3:3:3 bays, with
central break and projecting pavilions at each end; C20 small-paned metal
windows with stone cills and first-floor C20 small-paned 2-light metal casements
to pavilions. Central panelled door with radial fanlight and flanking
round-arched niches with rectangular panels beneath. Pavilions with central
first-floor square panels and central ground-floor round-arched niches with
rectangular panels beneath. Five-bay side elevations, with central first-floor
blind windows and ground-floor arched niches. Rear: 3-bay pavilions. Later
alterations to centre with 3-bay coach house and porte-cochere. The stable block
is sited on the axis of the principal approach to Cornbury House (q.v.) from the
north-east and closes off the courtyard on that side of the house. The pavilion
roofs have been altered, the coach house altered and porte-cochere added,
probably in the early C20, possibly in 1901-6.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p555; Country Life: CVIII (September 1950),
pp922-6; Oliver Hill and John Cornforth: English Country Houses, Caroline
Listing NGR: SP3507518209
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings