History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Somerleyton, Ashby and Herringfleet, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5157 / 52°30'56"N

Longitude: 1.673 / 1°40'22"E

OS Eastings: 649305

OS Northings: 297211

OS Grid: TM493972

Mapcode National: GBR YSM.9SJ

Mapcode Global: VHM6D.Y198

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 27 November 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183419

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282380

Location: Somerleyton, Ashby and Herringfleet, Waveney, Suffolk, NR32

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Somerleyton, Ashby and Herring

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Somerleyton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Flixton

Listing Text

SOMERLEYTON BLUNDESTON ROAD
TM 49 NE
4/29 Church of St. Mary
27.11.54
II*
Parish church. C15 tower, otherwise rebuilt 1854 by John Thomas; chancel
extended 1974. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble faced in
knapped flint with stone dressings. Slated roofs. Square tower with 3-stage
diagonal buttresses to the west face; 2-light belfry openings. Tall stepped
parapet added 1854: this formerly had tall crocketted pinnacles at the
corners. Below the parapet is a string course with gargoyles. 4-bay nave
with 4-centre arched 2-light windows. The chancel is in the Decorated style,
with a single 2-light window to the side walls and a 3-light east window.
Interior. The nave and chancel have open rafter roofs with scissor-bracing to
the main trusses. Well-preserved C15 octagonal font, the bowl panels carved
with alternate lions and angels bearing shields; angels to the bowl underside
and 4 lions against the stem. C17 font cover. Over the south doorway is a
medieval stone slab with 4 well-carved panels depicting the emblems of the
Evangelists; this was discovered in 1854. Fine C15 rood screen: crocketted
ogee arches and pierced Perpendicular tracery above; the dado has 16 panels
with painted figures, mostly of saints. C19 wooden reredos and pulpit in
Gothic style. In the sanctuary is a stone tomb chest to Sir Thomas Gernegan
(1446): the chest is decorated with lozenge panels within which are
quatrefoils containing shields. On the north chancel wall is a large monument
to Sir John Wentworth (1651) and his wife: black and white marble, with 2
free-standing busts framed by columns which carry an open segmental pediment.
On the south chancel wall is the bust of Sir Thomas Allin (1686), Admiral of
the Fleet. One north nave window has 2 C14 Flemish stained glass panels
originally taken from St. Olaves Priory.


Listing NGR: TM4930597211

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.