History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Three Monuments in Churchyard About 6 Metres South of Organ Chamber of Church of St Laurence

A Grade II Listed Building in Hilmarton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4769 / 51°28'36"N

Longitude: -1.9725 / 1°58'21"W

OS Eastings: 402005

OS Northings: 175327

OS Grid: SU020753

Mapcode National: GBR 3TV.658

Mapcode Global: VHB3W.R4KN

Entry Name: Three Monuments in Churchyard About 6 Metres South of Organ Chamber of Church of St Laurence

Listing Date: 25 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183428

English Heritage Legacy ID: 316364

Location: Hilmarton, Wiltshire, SN11

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Hilmarton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Hilmarton St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Hilmarton

Listing Text

HILMARTON CHURCH ROAD
SU 07 NW
(north side)
6/237 Three monuments in churchyard
about 6m south of organ chamber
of Church of St Laurence
GV II
Three chest tombs, C18 and early C19, ashlar, in a row. From
north:
a) W. Rumming monument, later C18, with fluted baluster angles,
moulded base and cornice with pulvinated frieze broken forward
over centre. Large north side egg-and-dart bordered oval
plaque with cherub head spandrels, draped urns each side.
South side rectangular plaque with drapery drop each side.
East end inscription to William Rumming.
b) James Rumming monument, early C19, with angle piers, moulded
base and capstone and framed plaque each side. North
inscription to James Rumming died 1825.
c) John Lawrence monument, earlier C18, with two raised circular
plaques to south and two raised lozenge plaques to north,
centre and angle piers with fielded panels and centre rosette.
Moulded base and cornice. South inscription to John Lawrence
died 1724, north inscriptions to George (died 1743) and Ann
(died 1745) Lawrence.


Listing NGR: SU0200175324

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.