History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Remains of Old Church of St Dunstan, Now Known As the Lumley Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cheam, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3606 / 51°21'38"N

Longitude: -0.2161 / 0°12'57"W

OS Eastings: 524299

OS Northings: 163900

OS Grid: TQ242639

Mapcode National: GBR BR.45W

Mapcode Global: VHGRQ.62M9

Entry Name: Remains of Old Church of St Dunstan, Now Known As the Lumley Chapel

Listing Date: 28 August 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183440

English Heritage Legacy ID: 206711

Location: Sutton, London, SM3

County: London

District: Sutton

Electoral Ward/Division: Cheam

Built-Up Area: Sutton

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Cheam

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Cheam

Listing Text

CHURCH ROAD
1.
4430
CHEAM
Remains of Old Church
of St Dunstan, now known
as The Lumley Chapel
Tq 2463 NW 29/50 28.8.53.
II* GV
2.
The Chancel of the original church C12. Rubble stone with roughcast finish,
gabled tile roof. South side has remains of C13 arcade now blocked, North side
has blocked C12 round-headed windows. The East window is renewed Cl5. The interior
has a fine late C16 moulded plaster ceiling of interlacing ribs rising from an
ornamental cornice. The building contains a number of very important monuments
and brasses which according to the Victoria County History include:-
Monuments. Lord Lumley 1609; Joan Lady Lumley, late Cl6; Elizabeth Lady Lumley,
early C17; Frances Peirson 1693; James Bovey 1695; and others and Brasses John
Compton 1450 and Joan his wife 1458; William Wooddward 1459; Bartholomew Fromond
1579; Michael Denys 1578; Thomas Fromond 1513; Edmund Barret 1631; and others.

Nos 1 to 4 (consec) Church Road form a group with the Lychgate, with the Church
of St Dunstan, with Lumley Chapel, with the boundary wall to former West Cheam
Manor House, Church Farm Lane, and with Church Farm House, Springclose Lane.


Listing NGR: TQ2429963900

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.