History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Unitarian Chapel (Great Meeting)

A Grade II Listed Building in Castle, City of Leicester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6379 / 52°38'16"N

Longitude: -1.136 / 1°8'9"W

OS Eastings: 458565

OS Northings: 304814

OS Grid: SK585048

Mapcode National: GBR FGJ.58

Mapcode Global: WHDJB.JY8L

Entry Name: Unitarian Chapel (Great Meeting)

Listing Date: 5 January 1950

Last Amended: 14 March 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183504

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188627

Location: Leicester, LE1

County: City of Leicester

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Leicester

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Leicester The Abbey

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Leicester

Listing Text

EAST BOND STREET
1.
5304
Unitarian Chapel
(Great Meeting)
(Formerly listed under
SK 5804 NE 1/l7 5.1.50 Bond Street)
II
2.
Built in 1707. One of the earliest brick buildings of any importance
in Leicester. Two-storey red brick and stucco chapel. Four windows,
moulded stone shouldered architraves, modern glazing. Good moulded eaves
cornice. Steep-pitched hipped roof of slates. Giant angle pilasters
at ends of elevation. Moulded stucco band and plinth. Across the front
probably mid C19 ground floor projection with continuous entablature with
central porch with Tuscan columns, in antis, carrying entablature, at
each side one window copy of original windows above. Interior: good octagonal
domed plaster ceiling of 1786. Chancel of 1866 and interior alterations
of the same date when an early C19 gallery on three sides was replaced
by the present gallery. A mural tablet records the marriage in 1837 of
William Rowlett reputedly the first marriage in a non-conformist chapel
in England. C19 cast iron gates of simple design in front, the railings
are restored.

Listing NGR: SK5856504814

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.