History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East and West Churchyard Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Carshalton Central, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3644 / 51°21'51"N

Longitude: -0.1635 / 0°9'48"W

OS Eastings: 527949

OS Northings: 164415

OS Grid: TQ279644

Mapcode National: GBR DD.ZBL

Mapcode Global: VHGRK.3YXY

Entry Name: East and West Churchyard Walls

Listing Date: 1 March 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183508

English Heritage Legacy ID: 206729

Location: Sutton, London, SM5

County: London

District: Sutton

Electoral Ward/Division: Carshalton Central

Built-Up Area: Sutton

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Carshalton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Wallington

Listing Text

HIGH STREW
1.
4430
(South Side)
CARSHALTON
East and West
Churchyard Walls
TQ 2764 SE 20/79
TQ 2864 SW 23/79
II GV
2.
East churchyard wall to south of No 4 is a high structure of brick with capping,
probably of C19 date; this extends south from No 4 High Street as far as corner
behind No l3 The Square; from this point it turns west; brick pilasters and 2
brick piers with capping. At western corner a brick pier with the following
inscription: "To the glory of God and in loving memory of Palliser Barrow all
the land south and west of this spot was given to extend the churchyard by Samuel
Barrow JP of The Grove, Carshalton, April 1915".
North-west wall of churchyard which also forms boundary with Madeley Cottage
and St Mary's comprises part of former boundary wall to Carshalton Park; C18;
red brick with some patching; this continues south and west to rear of Nos 20
and 21 Church Hill and to north as far as west entrance to churchyard by Madeley
Cottage; entry by Madeley Cottage flanked by wide low stuccoed piers. To north
of this, low stuccoed wall with plinth and capping extends as far as north Churchyard
Walk.

From the south the Church forms a group with No 4 High Street, with churchyard
walls and with wall to south of No 6 High Street [See other group note for Church].


Listing NGR: TQ2794964415

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.