History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

26 and 28, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Sutton Central, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3606 / 51°21'38"N

Longitude: -0.1917 / 0°11'30"W

OS Eastings: 525996

OS Northings: 163944

OS Grid: TQ259639

Mapcode National: GBR CL.4B7

Mapcode Global: VHGRQ.M2J9

Entry Name: 26 and 28, High Street

Listing Date: 1 March 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1183524

English Heritage Legacy ID: 206734

Location: Sutton, London, SM1

County: London

District: Sutton

Electoral Ward/Division: Sutton Central

Built-Up Area: Sutton

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Sutton St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Cheam

Listing Text

HIGH STREET
1.
4430
(East Side)
Nos 26 and 28
TQ 2563 31/85
TQ 2663 32/85
II
2.
Building acquired by the London and County Bank in 1901. 4-storey corner building
with 3 fronts including a splayed corner bay. No 26 stuccoed; No 28 red brick.
Slate hipped roof. Cornice and parapet. Upper storeys have segmental headed
windows except the 1st floor which has windows set in round- headed arches.
Listed on account of ground floor only. Stone bank front and doorway on ground
floor designed by [? Frederick] Wheeler; Art Nouveau decoration; segmental-headed
windows with deep battered sills; doorway on corner with rounded edges and above
it an oriel window with delicate carved leaf ornament to the corbelling. From
the base of door and window architraves rise bulbous shapes [onions?] merging
upwards into tapering shafts which rise as high as door and window heads and
above them, traversing an undulating horizontal band until they find their conclusion
in inverted onion forms at the base of the ground floor cornice. Carving of fine
detail. Still in use as a bank front; now occupied by National Westminster Bank.


Listing NGR: TQ2599663944

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.