This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1728 / 51°10'22"N
Longitude: -2.1334 / 2°8'0"W
OS Eastings: 390769
OS Northings: 141517
OS Grid: ST907415
Mapcode National: GBR 1VN.FF7
Mapcode Global: VH97P.ZS08
Entry Name: Polebridge
Listing Date: 1 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183558
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313441
Location: Sutton Veny, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Sutton Veny
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Sutton Veny St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SUTTON VENY DUCK STREET
ST 94 SW
(off south side)
Farmhouse, now detached house and cookery school. C14 hall house,
altered C17, extensions 1902 for W.P. Alexander. Rubble stone,
tiled or Welsh slate roofs, brick stacks. Two-bay central hall
with cross ranges rebuilt 1902. Two-storey, 5-windowed; casements
and sashes. Early C20 gabled porch with pointed doorway and
hoodmould to left of hall, four small 8-pane sashes to right, first
floor has moulded string course and two 4-light recessed hollow-
chamfered mullioned casements with leaded lights. Range to right
has two groups of four sashes with hoodmoulds to ground and first
floor, family crest to left gable and date 1902 to right, coped
verges and moulded finials. Range to left has 2 storey canted bay
with sashes and pair of 8-pane sashes to gabled half dormer.
Returns have similar sashes of 1902. Rear and interior not
accessible at time of survey (July 1985), but interior has former
open hall with cusped arch-braced collar truss and closed truss to
former service end with arch-braced collar and cusped V-struts,
clasped purlins with cusped windbracing. Floor inserted late C17,
stairs with square moulded balusters, closed string and moulded
handrail and square newels. Formerly known as Church Farmhouse,
until alterations early C20, possibly manor house for Great Sutton
Manor. (Illustrated in VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8 1965).
Listing NGR: ST9076941517
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings