This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2163 / 52°12'58"N
Longitude: -1.8746 / 1°52'28"W
OS Eastings: 408665
OS Northings: 257568
OS Grid: SP086575
Mapcode National: GBR 3K2.0WK
Mapcode Global: VHB08.GKBC
Entry Name: The Priory
Listing Date: 11 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183572
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305292
Location: Alcester, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B49
Civil Parish: Alcester
Built-Up Area: Alcester
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Alcester St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
ALCESTER PRIORY ROAD
SP0857 (East side)
4/132 No.81 (The Priory)
House and attached factory. c.1830. Colourwashed brick with moulded stucco and colourwashed stone dressings; wing rendered. Tile roof; brick lateral stacks. F-plan. Gothick style. 2 storeys; 4-window range. Main range has projecting one-bay centre wih studded double leaf doors and window above. Coped gable, corbelled out left and right, with small blind lancet. 16-pane sashes throughout. Doors and windows have stucco hood moulds. Ground-floor window on left blocked. Large projecting wing on right with porch, possibly C20, in re-entrant angle. Wing is much more elaborately treated. Moulded plinth and 4 piers. Central bay has sashes with Gothick glazing. Narrower bays have small blind lancets with hood moulds on each floor. Elaborate crenellated parapet, with taller central section hiding roof. 2 moulded string courses, the upper
interrupted by central blind window. Tops of piers have quatrefoil panels. Double-leaf doors lead into loggia open to rear. To rear': 2 gabled wings with irregular late C20 fenestration. Factory attached at right angles on right. Brick with tile roof. 2 storeys, 11-window range. Entrance inside loggia. Segmental arched cast iron windows with glazing bars and centre-hung opening lights. Interior not inspected. In the mid 19th century The Priory was known as 'Priory Works', and was one of the main needleshops of the district. It was run by Joseph Harrison. By 1890 neddlemaking had ceased, and bicycles were produced,
(G. Edward Saville (ed), Needlemakers and Needlemaking of the Alcester,
Sambourne and Studley Area, 1981, pp.XVI-XVII).
Listing NGR: SP0866457570
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings