This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7562 / 51°45'22"N
Longitude: -1.2577 / 1°15'27"W
OS Eastings: 451332
OS Northings: 206648
OS Grid: SP513066
Mapcode National: GBR 8YY.T0F
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.44Y1
Entry Name: St Johns College, Canterbury Quadrangle
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183654
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245129
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary Magdalen
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
ST J0HN'S COLLEGE
SP 5106 NW 5/525E 12.1.54.
Built 1631-36 by Laud, originally in Headington stone and incorporating
old library of 1596-8 in South range, the masons being, 1631-33, Richard
Maude, Hugh Davis and Robert Smith and, 1633-36, John Jackson with Anthony
Gore and Harry Acres, carvers. The whole refaced in Clipsham stone, 1922-36.
On East and West sides is a loggia and elaborate centrepiece (possibly by
Nicholas Stone), the statues being by Hubert le Suer. The pillars of Bletchingdon
stone, 5 being replaced, 1905, in Portland stone. Major internal alteration
Garden front of the East Range on East has 5 oriels and fan-vaulted passageway;
retains Headington stone with dressings renewed in Clipsham stone 1918.
Upper floor has library fitted up 1838.
1st floor on West Range and West part of North Range forms President's Lodging.
Listing NGR: SP5132706623
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings