This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3704 / 52°22'13"N
Longitude: -1.2639 / 1°15'49"W
OS Eastings: 450214
OS Northings: 274957
OS Grid: SP502749
Mapcode National: GBR 7P7.C8N
Mapcode Global: VHCTR.1PP7
Entry Name: Chapel at Rugby School
Listing Date: 11 October 1949
Last Amended: 3 September 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183714
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308454
Location: Rugby, Warwickshire, CV22
Electoral Ward/Division: Eastlands
Built-Up Area: Rugby
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Rugby St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
Chapel at Rugby School
(Formerly listed in
Lawrence Sheriff Street)
SP 5074 NW 2/66 11.10.49.
1872 by William Butterfield in red brick with stone dressings. Tall nave, chancel
and wide transepts. Low narrow aisles rebuilt 1897. South-east tower has octagonal
belfry with pyramidal roof.
Interior with elaborate painted roof contains canopied stalls to west end, 1882
mosaic to east end apse, C16 stained glass from Normandy and Netherlands, C19 stained
glass by Willement, Hardman and Morris.
Monuments with effigies to Dr James 1824 by Chantry, Dr Wool 1833 by R Westmacott
the Younger, Dr Arnold 1844 by John Thomas, Dean Stanley 1884 by Boehm. Many memorial
tablets to famous Rugbeians, including Arthur Hugh Clough, Rupert Brooke, etc.
Grated partly for historical interest.
The Chapel and War Memorial Chapel at Rugby School form a group with New and old Quad
Buildings. School House and Doctor's Wall at Rugby School Lawrence Sheriff Street.
Listing NGR: SP5021574961
Other nearby listed buildings