This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6347 / 52°38'4"N
Longitude: -1.137 / 1°8'13"W
OS Eastings: 458498
OS Northings: 304454
OS Grid: SK584044
Mapcode National: GBR FFK.YD
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.H1SH
Entry Name: St Martin's Cathedral
Listing Date: 5 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183725
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188654
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
In the entry for:-
SK 5804 SE
SK 5804 SW (South Side)
3/48 St Martin's Cathedral
GV 5.1.50 C
The grade shall be amended to read:-
SK 5804 SE 3/48 5.1.50 St Martin's Cathedral
SK 5804 SW 2/48
Parish Church of St Martin until 1927 when it became the Cathedral. From
C12 to C15 but much altered and restored in C19. Large church comprising
nave, chancel, chancel chapels, north and south aisles, outer south aisle,
west crossing tower and spire, north and south porches. Mid C13 north
and south arcades, outer south arcade C13/l4. C13 north doorway. C15
lengthening of nave. The crossing tower and tall spire in Early English
style, of 1861 and 1867 by Raphael Brandon, replaces the medieval spire.
North aisle restored 1882 by Street, south aisle in 1896 by Pearson.
Chancel chapels rebuilt 1865. South porch 1897 by Bodley. North timber
porch of 1862. Monuments: North aisle John Whatton and wives 1656 signed
by Joshua Marshall. Chancel Gabriel Newton 1746 in Rococo style busts
on large pedestal with relief carving. South chapel 1814 John Johnson,
the architect of Assembly Rooms, Hotel Street, standing figure of Hope
with anchor designed by Johnson, sculptor John Bacon the younger.
Nos 2 to 12 (even) St Martin's Cathedral and the Guildhall together with
No 20 Loseby Lane form a group also St Martin's Cathedral forms a group with
Nos 3 to 7 (odd) St Martin's East.
Listing NGR: SK5849804454
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings