This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2235 / 52°13'24"N
Longitude: -1.8474 / 1°50'50"W
OS Eastings: 410523
OS Northings: 258373
OS Grid: SP105583
Mapcode National: GBR 3JX.FS2
Mapcode Global: VHB08.XCRT
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1183766
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305335
Location: Kinwarton, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B49
Civil Parish: Kinwarton
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Kinwarton with Great Alne
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
3/171 Church of St. Mary the Virgin
Church. C12, largely rebuilt c.1316 (VCH); turret C16 or C17. Restored 1850.
Limestone and lias, rubble and irregular coursed stone. Old tile roofs;
weatherboarded turret with pyramid shingle roof. Nave and chancel without
structural division, west bell turret and south porch. 4 bays. South doorway
c.1316 with chamfered 2-centred arch and ancient ribbed door with lattice framed
back. Lias and weatherboard porch c.1850. Chancel has low clasping buttresses
and C19 three-light east window. North wall has single buttress between
easternmost windows. From east: 2-light square headed window with C14 jambs and
C16 or C17 head (VCH); C13 lancet; trefoiled lancet c.1316 (VCH); C19 window of
two lancets in place of a doorway. South wall: 2-light Decorated window; small
priests door with arched head, blocked internally but retaining old ribbed door;
oak framed 2-light window with cusped Y-tracery, probably C16 replacement of
earlier stone window (VCH); C19 two-light window. West end has low diagonal
buttresses and half-gable with bell turret replacing apex. C19 two-light window.
Interior: one-bay chancel divided from nave by screen. C19 queen strut roof. 2
sedilia in south window recess have shafts with moulded capitals and bases,
stilted arches and hood moulds. Nave has C15 wagon roof (VCH) with slightly
higher ridge and 2 moulded tie beams. Framing supporting turret: massive tie
beam on jowled posts and braces, with C19 reinforcing of curved braces forming
an arch, with struts. Fittings: font, possibly c.1316 but largely re-cut, has
cup bowl on later cylindrical stem. Board and batten lid with original staples
and iron rod fastening, probably early C17 (VCH). Mid Cl9 pulpit, screen and
pews. C18 three tier brass chandelier. Stained glass: chancel south window has
early C14 glass in tracery. Mid C19 east window by O'Connor, north west and
south west by Charles Gibbs (Buildings of England). Chancel north late C19, with
mark of Keape and Tower. Late C15 alabaster carving of 'The Presentation of the
Virgin' on nave north wall.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire III, pp,127-128; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
pp.328-329; Kelly's Directory of Birmingham, Staffordshire, Warwickshire and
Worcestershire 1884, p.792).
Listing NGR: SP1052058370
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings